Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Equal?

She spoons the steamy cake with a thick sauce into bowls, the aroma of rich cacao fills the kitchen. She is the master of equal portions she proclaims years of being the oldest in a family of four kids, portioning out whatever delicious treat knowing she would pick last caused a keen hand and eye for equal.

The ever expectant childish one waits with equal impatience with our 3 young hearts, for our chance at chocolate pudding cake. I am also concerned as I grew up in an unequal world where men got more than women and older boys more than younger girls, portions based on a hierarchy of age and physical size. My point of view was tainted and even though I was standing in respect to the power of equal it still gnaws at the back of my brain each time she applies her skill to treasured desserts.

I am ok with the equal dispensation of good things, but still. The thing is that here in Canada if you were to get shortchanged in the dispensation of some preferred food the next is just over in the fridge or the cupboard or a short drive away. We, in fact, are suffering from too many 'good things', we have the unfortunate circumstance of too much. I am not as healthy as I could be because I have too much food close at hand and the money to buy it.

I am not really obese or sick with some dread disease but I am not who I could be due to a slight lack of willpower and an abundance of goodies. I am surrounded by good and bad food and bad food tastes better.








No comments: